: Re: Strip Mute It?

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 21:22:00 -0700 (mst)

My answers will be interspersed.  Jim C.

On 9 Aug 1996, Lawrence A. Gardner wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thank you for your responses on this forum.  I've been lurking & learning from
> this subject.  I've some questions.
>
> So, how do you incorporate the dual FAC on a poorly scaled piano?  In the past
> I've liked strip muting it off, checking my A2, A3 & A4 to find out if they
> worked (especially as a double octave).  Then, I use the SAT to tune the
> temperement on the 2 different pages.  With it stripped off, it seems very easy
> to find problems using contiguous 3rds.

You can check the A's with two mutes.  Jim

> Just recently I was tuning a Baldwin SF, and to my horror, there were about 2
> beats per sec. between A2 & A4.  I carefully checked my stretch numbers, (and
> didn't add the .2c to the A number) and the double octave slowed down to an
> acceptable level.  It seems to me that I would not have caught the bad stretch #
> until  late in the tuning, requriing another pass, had I not strip muted it off.

You shouldn't need to change a Baldwin Sf10,  that's a very good
scale. Jim

> What exactly do you consider a pitch raise? Or, how many cents correction
> requires two passes?

For a Concert tuning, 5 to 10 cents would be a pitch raise.  Otherwise
about 15 to 20 cents or more.  I have done 20 cent pitch raises in
only one tuning as the final tuning.  This can only be done by doing
unisons as you go.

> As I understand it, you start with the plain wire strings.  Does that mean you
> initially ignore any wound strings on the tenor bridge?

Yes.  Jim

> I would assume that you
> start with the highest wound string and then go down, eg. Bb-26 descending to
> A0

Yes.  Jim

> How much drift do you encounter?  Like .1c or .2c?  So you just RESET the SAT
> for that much pitch deviation and go on?  ( I hate drift!)

Sometimes 2 or 3 cents or more.

> Again, I really appreciate you sharing your wealth of information.  THANKS!!!
>
> Larry Gardner, RPT

Jim Coleman, Sr. (AZ)