: Re: Strip Mute It?

Lawrence A. Gardner 70714.1631@CompuServe.COM
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 23:51:21 -0400 (EDT)

Jim,

Thank you for your responses on this forum.  I've been lurking & learning from
this subject.  I've some questions.

So, how do you incorporate the dual FAC on a poorly scaled piano?  In the past
I've liked strip muting it off, checking my A2, A3 & A4 to find out if they
worked (especially as a double octave).  Then, I use the SAT to tune the
temperement on the 2 different pages.  With it stripped off, it seems very easy
to find problems using contiguous 3rds.

Just recently I was tuning a Baldwin SF, and to my horror, there were about 2
beats per sec. between A2 & A4.  I carefully checked my stretch numbers, (and
didn't add the .2c to the A number) and the double octave slowed down to an
acceptable level.  It seems to me that I would not have caught the bad stretch #
until  late in the tuning, requriing another pass, had I not strip muted it off.

What exactly do you consider a pitch raise? Or, how many cents correction
requires two passes?

As I understand it, you start with the plain wire strings.  Does that mean you
initially ignore any wound strings on the tenor bridge?  I would assume that you
start with the highest wound string and then go down, eg. Bb-26 descending to
A1.

How much drift do you encounter?  Like .1c or .2c?  So you just RESET the SAT
for that much pitch deviation and go on?  ( I hate drift!)

Again, I really appreciate you sharing your wealth of information.  THANKS!!!

Larry Gardner, RPT