Strip Mute It?

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 00:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Ted Simmons wrote:

> tunerjim,
>    What does it matter if the muted wires change in pitch?  You're not
> tuning them.  On the other hand, when you strike a string and set it into
> vibration, is it constantly changing its length?
>
> >Do you suppose that the insertion of  (temperament)  strip displaces
> >the wire(s) enough to change their pitch(es) slightly?
> >
> >tunerjim

TunerJim,

If I understand you correctly, it is not the pitch of the muted strings
that concerns you.  It is the pitch change of the TUNED string that may
occur after the must is removed--  which is an intelligent question.  In
truth, after the must is removed, the pitches of the tuned strings WILL
change, but it is so little that it is not of practical consequence--
it is strictly a theoretical, although proveable phenomenon.  The degree
of change will be dependent on how tightly the felt presses against the
strings; which is very little in proportion to the tension on the
strings.

In theory, if you play one note and hold it, and then press
the damper pedal, the pitch of the sustained note will change!  Again--
not much to worry about!  But might be interesting to try with an SAT!

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer ("Bill")
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA;  Phone (voice): 716-473-9556
\\\  wbailer@concentric.net (same mailbox as wbailer@cris.com)