Strip Muting & Wandering Pitches- Get comfortable.

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 21:46:33 -0500

Dear Jeff,

Many thanks for your witty and very apt comments on strip muting.  I have
become something of a closet strip muter over the years, as more and more
reputable technicians have denounced this method, often in absolute terms.

I have tried the alternatives; in fact, I was trained to strip only the
temperament octave and to tune the rest of the piano "unison as you go".
When I tried the strip method after about six years of tuning, I was
immediately impressed by the reduced effort and tuning time brought about by
not having to continually move the mutes and by the improved stability and
evenness of my tuning.  I have been devoted to this method since.

In addition to your reasons for preferring strip muting, I would add that as
one tunes out from the center of the instrument, in the course of using
checks one finds previously tuned notes that require adjustment.  Being
human, I feel that I am more inclined to go back and make fine adjustments
when only one string is involved, than I would be if I had to change three.
Also, when one string on each note throughout the keyboard has been tuned,
it is easy, in fine concert work, to run chromatic checks up and down the
entire range, making fine adjustments to pull it all together.

I modify this method somewhat for pitch raises, usually tuning the long
bridge first.  I am very pleased usually with the results I get using strip
muting for pitch raises.  Since areas that dip in pitch during pitch raises
tend to do so consistently, one learns how to compensate.  Last week I
raised an older console about 20 cents.  After the first pass, it was up to
pitch and remarkably in tune with itself--with a slight touch-up, it would
have satisfied most clients as is.

I have performed high level concert work now very successfully for over
twenty years, and have some confidence, born from experience, in what I am
doing.  Perhaps this is just another example of our adjusting to our
circumstances, and compensating for the instrument, the environment, our
tools, our body, and our techniques.

I am very comfortable with my method, and it has served me well; but I have
no doubt that other technicians are using very different methods, and
achieving results as good or better.

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music