Strip Muting & Wandering Pitches- Get comfortable.

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:06:45 -0400

<< I am very comfortable with my method, and it has served me well; but I
have
 no doubt that other technicians are using very different methods, and
 achieving results as good or better.

Dear Charles & Jeff,
       I hate to admit to being indecisive but I can't seem to make up my
mind about muting- strip or other. Routinely, I strip the tenor and bass on
most pianos. On verticals I tend to use mutes in the treble because of
clearance problems. On grands I use mutes or strip, depending on the phase of
the moon. I have rubber, felt, plastic, wood covered with buckskin, finger
nails.........I just can't commit though I probably should be committed. I
change from piano to piano, from morning to afternoon. I know that is not
efficient but it's also not boring. One thing seems sure- you must know what
effect the system of muting you adopt will have on the final tuning. I
usually know after the keyboard check how I will "attack" the job. Final
point- the method is less important than the results. All the different
methods have their points and all are aimed at the same goal. As Cousin Bubba
says, "Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad
judgement."

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.