comments about an old piano

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Jonsky!

The problem inherent in asking a question, especially here at Pianotech,
is that you might not get an answer you like, however truthful it might
be. This may be the case with my answer to your question. You have been
fore-warned!

Old Kranich and Bach grands are in a class by themselves. No technician
who has ever worked on one will ever forget the experience, no matter how
hard he tries. I don't know if old K&B grands would take the gold medal for
being the worst piano ever made, but they would certainly be a silver or
bronze medalist in the competition for the title. Simply put, they were
inexpensive, poorly designed and carelessly manufactured pianos, for whom
replacement parts are no longer available. So if you're considering in-
vesting significant dollars in an attempt to "restore" one of these in-
struments, FORGET IT! Those dollars would be put to much better use if
you use them towards the purchase of a better-quality  piano. Which in
this case means almost ANYTHING else!  What should you do with old K&B?
Well, the first answer that comes to mind is to fill the case with nitro-
glycerin and SLAM the lid shut! Or, you could try this: Hire a piano
technician to come over and remove the old Kranich and Bach decal from
the fallboard. In it's place have him install a large, ornate decal that
says "Steinway". Then, with the help of some friends, move the piano onto
your front lawn near the road, where it's in full view of passing traffic.
Then go on vacation for a week. When you come back your problem will be
solved!

When K&B was founded, Jacques Bach was the cabinet, or case man and Hel-
muth Kranich was the action, or piano-mechanism man. I always found it
incredible that Helmuth actually worked in the Steinway factory for
several years before founding his own firm with Jacques. Given the quality
of the pianos that K&B cranked out, I have always felt that Helmuth must
have gotten fired for sleeping on the job, because it's obvious that he
never saw or remembered what was going on at the Steinway factory when he
was there!

If you check the archives, both here  at Pianotech and at RMMP, you'll
find that K&B pianos have been discussed at length in the past. The
conclusions reached are generally as I have outlined above. Old K&B
grands were esentially dogs from the day they were new, and their quality
does not justify the cost of attempting to restore them, or of under-
taking expensive repairs. Instead, put your money towards a piano of
better quality and workmanship.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net

PS If you dispose of the old K&B by putting it out on your front lawn
with a "Steinway" decal on the fallboard and want to find out who took
it, do the following: About a month after the piano disappears, start
reading the "for sale" ads in your local newspaper. You'll know you've
found the right one, when you find one that reads: "For sale: Steinway
grand. Needs work. Asking $50, or best offer"!

ls