Strike Point

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:13:43 -0500

At 06:25 PM 8/15/96 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Charles Ball wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ron,
>>
>> Unless you move the plate, the strike point should not change when you
>> restring.  Do take into consideration that the new hammers will probably
>> have a longer strike distance (from the middle of the shank to the tip of
>> the crown), since the old hammers are presumably worn down a bit.  Thus, if
>> the new hammers are glued up at the same point, and with the same angle, the
>> strike point will move back a bit from the capo.
>>
>> Charles

>True. But, all things being equal, those new hammers are only moving BACK
>to where the old hammers were originally striking before they became worn,
>right?
>
>Les Smith
>lessmith@buffnet.net

I agree Les, unless, of course, the action placement has been moved.
Nonetheless this information is pertinent, for instance, in a scenario where
one finds (as I have from time to time) that, despite ample hammer wear, the
action has to be pulled far forward in the treble cheek block in order to
find the best strike point tonally.  This would be the time to consider an
adjustment in the hammer line.

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music