S&S accelerated action

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:09:57 -0400

Ron;
" He then drew me a picture
showing the curved felt punchings and explained that it was caused bacuase
the keys rock in an arch rather than on a pivot point like a traditional
action. "
 "Another good technician  told me that this is false and that the Steinway
is simply a different design and that both actions rock in an arch."

" Both technicians are well respected in the PTG at the highest
levels and have names for themselves.  *Who is right?"*

Ron in my opinion both are right and neither are right, but the differences
we are talking about are insignificant; rather like whether cloth dyed a
color is thicker than undyed cloth from the same bolt of material. Keys on
punchings 'tend to rock forward on the front of the punching and keys on
bearings tend to rock forward on the bearing itself. Notice I said rock and
not pivot, as pivot denotes a fixed point and there is no fixed point between
a key and the balance rail pin. I have often wondered what long term effects
the bearings have on the keys but have never come to any conclusion other
than I didn't know. I just returned a 35 year S&S 'M' with bearings that had
no pulley motion in the keys, and this piano was/is played a lot. So go
figure.
Jim Bryant (FL)