Soundboard stress cracks

Mike Bingham 71672.467@CompuServe.COM
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

I have a highly skilled pianist client who recently purchased a S&S "B" c. 1920
from a well known Steinway dealer in the NE. This piano was completely rebuilt
with new board, block, and action. Purchased 6 months ago, I saw this piano for
the first time yesterday,  to give a critical evaluation because of some
"inconsistencies" in the playablility of this piano.

To my surprise, there appears a significant stress fissure through the finish in
the center of the board extending the length of the board, right through the
middle of the decal. It is not into the wood, but it is raised and separated
along the finish edges. In that regard, it seems a fairly thick coat of varnish,
if that is what it is. There are also 2 other "auxilliary" cracks (fissures?)
parallel and on either side of this main one. None of these have caused a rib
separation, yet. Yes, it's humid here in NJ this summer and the board has that
wavy stressed look to it.

This piano was purchased for $36G which included her trading in the "M" she had
worn out. My last experience tracking some serious looking fissures on a new
grand with a solid board lasted 2 years until it finally went through the wood
last winter, and now I can see the floor. (The manufacturer was just notified
about that one).

Here are my questions: What is the correct euphemism: fissures? cracks? crazes?
worry lines? and when does one become another?
What experiences have you had with new boards cracks?
Have you followed any from birth to...well,  you know....
What would you consider the odds for this 5 year warranteed soundboard lasting 5
years? 10 years?
Do cracks effect tuning stability? tonal reproduction? donwbearing? value?

Mike Bingham,