gilding on early pianos

Karen Rege krege@UDel.Edu
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:45:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

I have a reference question from one of our Master's degree
students in Art Conservation
here at Winterthur Museum. He's trying to trace the history of
gilted designs applied to early Philadelphia pianos (ca. 1820-1835).  They
appear primarily as the name or around the engraved brass name plate.
Have any of you restored instruments with applied gilt finishing and can
give us some info on how this tradition appeared?  Was it only
Philadelphia?  He's noted that piano builders Loud and Bros. and Albrecht
of Philadelphia used these decorations frequently.

Many thanks in advance.
Karen

Karen Rege
Assistant Librarian
Joseph Downs Collection of Manuscripts and Printed Ephemera
Winterthur Museum Library
Winterthur, DE 19735
(302) 888-4733
krege@brahms.udel.edu