HAMMER FIT

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:21:02 -0400

    Hi Doug,

    Why not have the hammers pre-hung for you.  If it needs new hammers it
    probably could use new knuckles, and shanks, and flanges.  Several
    places will pre-hang hammers for you, you only need to provide the
    proper samples.  Won't be "perfect" or custom, but good enough given
    your situation.  (Unless, of course, you just want to have fun
    hanging the hammers yourself.)  Hope this helps.

    Good luck!

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

    Howdy to the List,

     I am new to the piano repair industry.  I recently decided to replace
     a set of hammers on a grand piano because of excessive wear.  Having
     never done this before, I am not sure about the fit of the hammer
     shank to the hole.  From previous postings and other sources, it
     sounds like the fit should be "snug".  Since I had not done this
     before I decided to have the Supply house drill the hammers.

     When I checked the hammer to shank fit, it felt too loose.  The hammer
     shanks in the knurled ends measured .220" and the hammers were a snug
     slip fit on a .235 cylinder.  This much clearance between parts seems
     to allow the hammer to rock excessively without glue, and the strike
     point would be difficult to control.  I assume the hide glue will take
     up some of the difference, but since the fit is so loose to start
     with, will the glue joint be compromised?

     Do I send the hammers back, or am I missing something?

     So before I go any further, I need a volunteer and would be happy to
     donate 2-3 cents for comments and/or instructions...

     Thanks,

     doug
     drichard@qntm.com