"Stringing Stories"

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:49:40 -0500

At 01:16 PM 8/14/96 -0500, you wrote:

>How 'bout some more stringing stories folks....?
>
>John McKone, RPT
>Minneapolis, MN
>http://www.skypoint.com/members/mckonejw

You probably don't want to hear about how I dropped a 1 lb coil of wire that
wasn't secured tightly and I ended up with an enormous mess of wire all over
the shop floor!  It only took me several hours to get it all untangled and
back into a coil again!

There is a wonderful tuner in my town (not in the PTG) who strings using a
6/6 scale.  He starts at size 13 in the top treble and then changes wire
sizes to the next half size every 6 unisons.  He doesn't use a micrometer at
all, and unstrings pianos without taking any measurements.  He does very
nice coils and wire spacing etc., very nice visual effect.  I did notice
difficulty in tuning those pianos, but I thought it was just me, because of
inexperience.

Thanks for the stories!

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
*****P.S.*****  The web page is finally up again!