tumbling piano

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:21:54 -0800 (PST)

Dave,
	Chuck Schuitt of Sioux City once told me a similar story about a
high school in South Dakota.  He was called out to do an estimate one
day on a Steinway D for insurance purposes.  When he showed up at the
high school, he found that someone had rolled the S&S D off the stage
out into the pit.  His estimate was high including a complete rebuild.
But the story had a happy ending.
	It turned out that the music dept. and the athletic dept. had not
been getting along very well for some time.  Several "football stars" (if
there is such a thing) had broken in and did the damage.  They found this
out during the investigation.  Several football players were permanently
expelled, put up on criminal charges and insurance had to pay for the
rebuild.  The music dept. had been budgeting a rebuild for several years
and could never get it approved on capital outlay.  They ended up with a
free rebuild and the troublemakers were gone.

Ron Shiflet

What a way to start the day!I came in this
morning to find one of our S&S Ds on its lid in
the concert hall.  While I'm waiting for te
university police to show up, I'd like to know if
anyone has dealt with this situation before, what
damage to look for etc.  I plan to roll it onto a 9'
skid this afternoon,after I pull the hinge pins and
lyre, then onto its legs.  It fell about 4'. The only
obvious damage so far is to the lid and prop
stick, though I expect I'll find more when I set it
up.  I'll let everyone know what I find.
David Graham, RPT
dgraham@niu.edu