Wire cutters

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:45:11 -0400

Ron Shiflet, and List -

I know of no better piano wire cutters than the Starrett No. 1 Cut Nippers.
 They are available in a 5.5-inch and a 7-inch model, both with hardened
steel jaws or carbide-tipped jaws, which are interchangeable/replaceable.
 They feature well-engineered compound leverage, and are very well made;
they're a pleasure to own - one of those rare tools that are Just Right.

I have a 7-inch that I've owned for about 25 years; restrung hundreds of
pianos with it.  About 15 years ago I got a set of carbide jaws for it - not
that the steel ones were't OK, just thought I'd try 'em.  They cut even
better; and they show no signs of wear, even when viewed with a strong
magnifying glass, after years of use.

About 16 years ago I was given a pair of the 5.5-inch, with a pair of
special-purpose crimping jaws.  I replaced those useless (to me) jaws with
carbide cutters and carry this tool in my service-call kit.  They are a
little lighter and more compact, but equally well made.  I have restrung
pianos with this tool, too.  But for shop work, you'll be happier with the
larger model, which is rated for up to .080" hard wire.  The smaller one is
only rated to .050", but easily cuts the fattest bass strings, too.

  -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations