Cracks and ridges

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:15:33 -0600

At 11:30 AM 23/08/96 -0400, John Hartman wrote:

>What I find particularly absurd is the idea that ridges in soundboard
>indicate superior wood handling and seasoning. If this is true we should be
>seeking pianos with ridges for our clients to buy and the more ridges the
>better! Let's keep the ridges in the Ruffles.

It may seem absurd, however both  Joe Bisceglie and Steve Romeo told me that
when Steinway "factory men" were choosing particularly good pianos for
particular customers (usually friends or professionals) they would pick one
WITH ridges over an equally good piano without them. This had been going on
at least since Joe started with the factory as an elevator boy back in the
early thirties.

Is it just a "folk tale" that the ridges are a good thing?  Quite possibly
seeing the literature on the subject. On the other hand, maybe those
long-dead factory workers knew something we don't? After all, if artists
like Gary Graffman wouldn't allow The Basement to blow out "his" C&A piano
because that dust bunny under the plate may be giving him just the sound he
was looking for then perhaps the SB ridges add something to the sound that
we don't understand yet as well?

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada