Two pass tunings and the game of Horseshoes

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 23:53:57 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/16/96, "Keith A. McGavern" <kam544@ionet.net> rote:
<<Had this spoofy (is that a real word?) analogy come to me today.  Doing
two pass tunings would be like throwing a horseshoe close to the stake,
then walking up, picking the horseshoe up again, and easily pitching it
on the stake for a ringer.  Voila!>>

Well, actually Keith, the game is a little different. The horseshoe is
made out of modeling clay, soft enough to change shape with the original
centrifugal fling, the prevailing winds during the flight, not to mention
the impact. The other change is that not only are you judged on whether
the pin is surrounded by the horseshoe but also by whether the shape of
that horseshoe is perfectly  undistorted from its original. With these
rules, I'd want to land the horseshoe within an inch of the pin, pick the
shoe up and reshape it perfectly. Then ever so gently, for the second
toss, I'd drop it at ground zero from about the height of 5 mm.

<G>

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

".......true more in general than specifically"
Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the
                        Hebrew roots of Calypso music