Ball End Tuning Hammers

Leonard W. Childs lenny@stic.net
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 23:24:05 -0500

Ted Simmons wrote:

> >Over past couple of years on the listserv there has been a thread concerning
> >Ball End Tuning Hammers.  There were discussions about making them or where
> >they could be purchased.  Ford used to sell the wooden handled type.
> >
> >I noticed in the April 1996 Journal on page 30 a picture of the owners of
> >Beethoven Piano Supply (they bought Ford Supply).  On the table in front of
> >the owners are tuning hammers.  Two of the models are Ball End Tuning
> >Hammers.
> >
> >It appears there is a place they can be purchased again.
> >
> >Tim Coates
>
> Tim,
>    The inventor of this type of tuning hammer was Charlie Huether and he
> runs an ad in the Piano Technicians Journal.  He calls it the "Wonderwand"
> and that it truly is.  I don't think I can go back to the old style now
> that I've got accustomed to the Wonderwand.  You can contact him at:
> Charles P. Huether, RPT, 34 Jacklin Court, Clifton, NJ 07012.
> (201)473-1341.
>
> Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL

Hi Ted,

I've used the "wanderwand" for several years, and even use it on grands
until I get up into the high treble section, then I switch to the
regular tuning hammer with the long tip.  I went to the wonderwand on
the suggestion of Charles Huether, because I was getting severe
arthrirtis in my right hand.    Lenny

Leonard Childs RPT