Ball End Tuning Hammers

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:40:04 -0400

I've never tried the Wonder Wand, because I bought my ball end tuning hammer
before the Wonder Wand was on the market (at least I didn't see it).

Some earlier discussions have pointed out that the Ball End Tuning Hammer
does seem to help with easing pain.  I can attest to that.  Not only did I
notice a difference when I first bought my Ball End Tuning Hammer, but just
this last week I experienced the difference.  My trusted hammer broke on
Monday.  I was left with my old hammer (no ball end), and I felt the pain
start just with one tuning.  I was lucky and my trusted hammer could be
repaired.  I only had to tune two pianos with my old hammer.

I think if one were to look in the archives of this listserv there would be
comments about the differences between the Wonder Wand and a wooden handle
ball end  tuning hammer.  Those comments lead one to believe the Wonder Wand
has a certain amount of flex that other ball end tuning hammers don't have.
 I can't comment directly about that, as I've never used the Wonder Wand.  I
do like a stiff handle, no matter if it is a ball end tuning hammer or not.
 I'm sure the Wonder Wand does fit the needs of many technicians, as it well
should.

I am glad to see there are other sources for Ball End Tuning Hammers, as I
did have quite a scare this past week.  Custom made is nice.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota