SATs

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 01:11:03 -0400

I, too, have sometimes had to deal with the ill- or improperly-educated
client who sees a SAT (or a PowerMac laptop) and says something like "oh, so
you don't tune them by ear anymore, eh?"
And I also have a two-minute (surprises those who know me that I can say
anything at all in only two minutes) speech.

"Well, no, that's not quite right. Ultimately, all tuning is done by ear. But
some of the better modern electronic tuning equipment can help us get 'real
close, real fast'. In addition to helping me tune faster (which allows me to
keep my rates down), I can relax a little during the 'rough' tuning part, and
save my fullest concentration for the final/fine tuning of each string.
"Its kind of funny, in a way. If you went to the doctor with a broken arm or
leg, and he said 'ah heck, I am a good doctor, I don't need to use an x-ray
machine to look at your arm (or leg)', you would probably get up and run out.
Even if it were the leg that was broken!
"And if you took your car in for a tune-up, and the shop did not have the
latest and best infra-red analyzing machines - and the one at our local Chevy
dealership cost close to $200,000 - so they could achieve the most fuel
effecient and least smog producing mixture, you would go somewhere else. In
fact, after you failed the DEQ test you would *have* to go somewhere else.
"But sometimes people think it is odd for a piano technician to also have the
latest tools. Kind of like we expected to be 'backward' or something."
By this time they are agreeing with me, and telling me how smart I am to have
the knowledge I have, and how smart they are for calling me in the first
place.

My two minutes are up.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.

P.S. Please note that we have a new e-mail address - rpotter@bendnet.com