Dead Pianos as Targets- Chhhiiing!

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 01:10:33 -0400

In his post, Jeff Hickey said
>ps-
    Have also flung a dead piano into a landfill. Had it loaded into a van,
arrived at the 'fill, and placed the van at the top of a cliff. With a
"One!
Two! Three!", we shoved the critter from the van. It rotated only a
half-turn
on it's way down, and arived at the bottom of it's 30-foot fall on it's
side.
PPPWWWAAANNNNG! (Didn't stay to watch the Bulldozer smash it up, 'though...
mebbe next time.)
(- end of quote, and no, I don't know how to get it to put those little
arrows at the beginnings of all the lines automatically! My Claris EM@iler
program does it, but that does not work so well with the aol program, sooo .
.. .)

Just a suggestion, but when you drop those old war horses off at the dump
that, as Mitch Kiel so adeptly says, "have exceeded their wear cycle" - wait
around for the bulldozer to smash it up.
We have a dealer in our area who regularly delivers junkers to the dump (the
other dealers sell them for "$100/u-haul" at Crazy Daze or Friday Surprise
sales). He removes the actions and keys before taking them to the dump,
because he once had someone retrieve a piano, work on it, and six months
later buy a piano and trade it in on it. While he was happy for the sale, he
wondered how many other pianos were similarly retrieved? We know of two!
Now, while I do not want to deprive some poor soul of the opportunity to make
music, we don't take them there, and neither does Dan, unless they really
belong there!
And what does he do with the actions and keys he removes? He used to throw
them in the dump - on his next visit. Now, though, he gives them to us, and
we send them out to students of our school for practice repair parts!
In this way, both he and we are able to say we recycle the useable parts of
the piano, so everyone (especially our students) feel good about it.
(And by the way, if you happen to have a mess of old action parts, especially
upright wippens with stickers, you would like to see go to good use, we would
be happy to receive them and recycle them for a good cause! Please contact me
if you would like more information how to get them to us. Please use our new
address, rpotter@bendnet.com    Thanks, Randy)

Randy Potter, R.P.T.

Note: We have a new address - rpotter@bendnet.com
Since this aol address only has access to a 2400 baud line, and the bendnet
address is 28.8K, we prefer to receive all of our mail at that address. I
spent 4.5 hours downloading mail yesterday. Ouch! Thanks.