Stethoscope

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:31:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 Pianotoone@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have an alternative to this for finding buzzes, rattle etc. I
> though about getting tubing from tropical fish store or perhaps using tubing
> and connectors normally used for player pianos.  Don't even know how much a
> used stethoscope would cost, but I'll bet I don't want to buy a new one.
>  Thanks to the list
>
> Dick Day
> Marshall, MI

Hi, Dick.  In addition to regular pianos, I do a lot of player piano work
too. For both, I use a stethoscope. Personally, I am much more comfortable
having it's plastic ear-pieces in my ears rather than just shoving a piece
of regular player tubing there. About ten years ago the stethoscope I had
given to me by a doctor, many years earlier, got "borrowed" and I had to
replace it. I found a local medical supply firm that sold me just what I
needed and the cost back then was less than $20. A couple of years ago I
found one at a local flea-market for $5, so now I have two. If you share
my reluctance to stick strange objects in your ears, go with the stetho-
scope. BTW, I recommend removing the "collector" from the end of the
common tube. I have found that the tube by itself is more accurate at pin-
pointing problems.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net