Hammer felt loose from core

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:50:39 -0400 (EDT)

Good idea, Ted (and Newton). To that sage advice I would add the follow-
ing: This is a frequently encountered problem in later-made Aeolian
pianos. I don't know what they were using for glue, but it's not uncom-
mon to find Aeolian pianos, even those with names like Chickering, Knabe
and Mason & Hamlin made in the decade or so before their demise, with
20, 30, or more hammers with their felt comong unglued. The first step
is to replace the hammers-- all of them. The next step is to replace the
piano! Hammer-wise, the worst offenders are those with the junky light
green underfelt. I didn't think that it was possible to find worse hammers
than those found in mainland China's Pearl River pianos, but apparently
Aeolian did. I guess it just shows you what corporate determination can
accomplish! Aeolian who?

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net