Hammer felt loose from core

Ron Duschenchuk rduschen@mail.netusa.net
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:27 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:21:35 -0400
>From: ted@palmnet.net (Ted Simmons)
>To: pianotech@byu.edu
>Cc: ted@palmnet.net
>Subject: Hammer felt loose from core
>
>A month or 2 ago we had a discussion about what to do about hammer felt
>that has broken away from the core.  I tried all of the glues that were
>suggested, tied the hammer up with heavy cord,let the glue dry overnight
>and in the morning cut away the cords.  Everything looked o.k. but about an
>hour later I discovered that the felt was slowly breaking away again.  I
>used Weldbond, Titebond, Super glue, contact cement, and epoxy.  None of
>them held.  So, Newton, I think it was you who said to replace the hammers.
>Pat yourself on the back.  That's what my next step is.
>
>Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL

Ted:
        I agree, replace the hammers if at all possible. But in some cases
(no money available for repairs, correct size hammer not at hand, etc.) some
tone can be restored by well clamped glue job.
        The important thing to remember is that while Welbond, Titebond, and
contact cement can be bought and used directly from the local hardware
store, epoxy and super glue should almost never be bought off the rack from
such a store. These materials have a very limited life span and must be
procured from a source that has a very quick turnover in stock.
        I would suggest purchasing CA(Super Glue) and epoxy from one of the
advertisers in the PTG Journal or from one of the following sources: epoxy -
a well stocked boating or marine store, CA(Super Glue) - a hobby store that
moves its stock quickly (get the kind that comes in three viscosities,
experiment-I prefer the medium viscosity-be sure to also pick up a spray
container of accelerator.
Ronald Duschenchuk RPT    e-mail rduschen@mail.netusa.net
Sayville, New York