squeaky damper tray

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:03:23 -0400

    Hi Bill,

    Put a little of that Protek onto the damper guide rail bushings.
    Good luck!

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

Help.
Today I serviced a new Samick SG-205 (6'8"). The complaint was a squeaky
sustain pedal. Pretty common in Asian pianos. Upon investigating it
wasn't the pedal at all, but squeaked when I lifted the damper tray with
my fingers. After proteking the flanges to no avail, I lifted all the
dampers and held them up with the sostonuto. No squeak. I tugged and
pulled on the tray while lifting it to be sure it didn't squeak under
stress (or the weight of the dampers). Lifting each damper with my
finger produced no squeaks. Finally, I isolated one primary damper that
was the offender (G5?-right there above the strut), but it would only
squeak while lifted by the tray and not when I lifted it with my
finger). The problem isn't limited to just the one damper but several
above it also, but mostly just the one. I lubed the flanges. No change.
I put in piece of felt on top of tray felt. No change. I put a little
talc on the friction point of the tray felt and the capstan of the
damper lever. No change. I even pulled out the dampers themselves and
the squeak was still there.

What I am missing here? Seems too obvious a squeak to be so difficult to
correct.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Stratton RPT
---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~