Damper Underlever Springs

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:47:04 -0500

List,
   I've scheduled a regulation job next week for a customer with an older
Steinway L. The damper underlevers have the helper springs and they seem to

be adjusted too tight. Without one of the gram resistance gauges, is there
any way to set/adjust the tension on these springs?
   I'm also assuming the entire underlever assembly will have to be removed
to do this. Am I correct in that? All the dampers are lifing way too soon
and will have to be regulated anyway, so it wouldn't be that much more work
to go ahead and remove the tray, if necessary.
   Just another one of those "things" I have never had to do before! Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
   BTW, the very recent discussion on trimming trichord/wedge felt that is
extending too far below the strings is also going to come in very handy.
Newton Hunt and Jeff Hickey's posts will be just what I need.
   Now if I can just find $60.00 to spare for a pair of barber's shears! <G>

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893