Damper Underlever Springs

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:07:08 -0400

Avery;
"an older Steinway L. The damper underlevers have the helper springs and they
seem to be adjusted too tight."
  Avery does this mean that the underlevers have always been too tight/heavy?
You might want to check the pinning on both parts of the underlever before
starting the readjustment of those springs. Some questions you might want to
ask yourself--
1. do the dampers seem heavy through the keys ?   2. do the individual
underlevers seem heavy to your finger with the action removed ?   3. are the
lifter felts indented heavily or worn out ?  4. do the damper wires slide
without resistance in the guide rail ?  5. at what point on the lifter felt
does the underlever meet ?  There are two ways of adjusting the tension on
the underlever springs  (a.) changing the coil (b.) raising the stem; there
may be others that I am not aware of.  While you have the tray out be sure to
clean and regraphite (or whatever) the spring grooves

  These are some of the questions I ask myself before I start doing anything
with an underlever assembly and it helps me to write it out occasionally.  .

Although I am sure that you have thought through these points a reminder
can't hurt. Good tensioning.
Jim Bryant (FL)