Subj: Damper Underlever Springs

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 07:29:47 -0400

 Avery asks;

>>   I've scheduled a regulation job next week for a customer with an older
Steinway L. The damper underlevers have the helper springs and they seem to

be adjusted too tight. Without one of the gram resistance gauges, is there
>>any way to set/adjust the tension on these springs?

    No matter what gram setting you use,  it is important that the resistance
be even, or evenly graduated.
    One way to do this is to remove the tray, and turn it upside down,
 letting the underlevers  be supported by the springs.  You should see all of
the underlevers hanging on their springs, not quite touching the felt above.

    If you give it a slight bounce,  any really weak springs will allow the
lever to drop,  and too tight springs will prevent the lever from moving.
     I had to remove the damper tray on a factory set up once, and when I
checked the springs in this way,  they were all just barely supported by the
springs,  bouncing quite easily when I jiggled the tray.
     If the dampers are really set to mate well with the strings,  it takes
very little spring to assist the weighted levers in efficient muting.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.