RE Damper Underlever Spring

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:14:59 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:11 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE Damper Underlever Springs          Date:  8/28/96

I was told by Fred Drasche (I think it was him) that Steinway discarded the
helper spring approach to damping --  for quite a few years they kept a light
gauge spring in the B's and D's in the bass and low tenor -- because the
pianist could feel the progressive tension of the spring while playing. I
suppose the perception of this tension would be more aggravating if the key
cushion contacted the underlever too soon. When we rebuild Steinways here at
Oberlin that have a sprung rack, we set the tension on these springs to be
almost nil. With the rack out, we pull up on the spring until its rest
position is about where the underlever would sit at rest in the piano. The
springs, then, do assist the return of the damper somewhat but are hardly, if
at all, perceived when playing.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory