Strike Point

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:46:15 -0500

At 12:31 PM 8/16/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Ron Shiflet writes:
>
>List,
> I will be restringing a piano soon.  Will the strike point change
>with the new strings? (snip)
>
>Ron,
>
>DO NOT assume that the strike point was correct in the first place. Even
>allowing for wear in hanging your samples you will want to use your ears to
>confirm where the best strike point is. It sometimes varies from section to
>section so hang plenty of samples.
>Also, variations in plate/V-bar dimentions will have an effect on the bore
>distance of your new hammers which will in turn affect strike point.
>And, if the plate has been moved/removed  it will be even more important to
>confirm aurally your hammer placement.
>
>Paul Dempsey
>Marshall University
>Huntington, WV
>wippen@aol.com

Dear Friends,

A friend of mine restrung a Baldwin Studio but reused the original hammers.
The hammers, unfortunately, are misshapen because of a poor hammer shaping
job (more felt on the underneath side of the hammers than on top of the
hammers).  The hammers really should be replaced, but that will probably not
get done.  The tone in the top section is very poor, because the hammers are
striking too far away from the v-bar.

For future reference, what is the best way to raise up the action so that
the hammers will strike in the correct place?  Of course one would adjust
the posts that the feet of the action brackets sit on.  If these posts are
adjusted taller, would I then have to respace hammers and re-regulate the
dampers?  What else would change that should need to be adjusted? Or would
the best option be to replace the hammers and re-regulate the action?

Questioning!

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
*****P.S.*****  The web page is finally up again!