Yamaha keytops

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:17:46 -0700 (mst)

Dear Jim:

The main point I was trying to make in my last response on this subject
is that if Yamaha people do not know the local technician, it is chancy
for them to relie on the local technician.  In your case, I believe
you to be an excellent technician.  If you have been to the little red
schoolhouse, then probably the Yamaha people know about you.  However, if
you have not had this kind of contact with them as Joe A. did not,
then can you see how they might wish to go with a known technician?
It would be nice if they had sent a thank you note to Joe anyway.  Joe
will still have the customer afterwards.

When I used to travel with Concert Artists for the Baldwin Co.  I know
that certain local tuners felt slighted when they lost the job of tuning
for that particular concert.  My purpose in being at each of these
locations was to insure that our concert pianos were well regulated,
voiced, and well tuned.  Once I was at a College tweaking up one of our
Concert Grands.  We always tried to have the local technician with us so
that his knowledge would be increased if necessary and that we would
know more about him.  This local technician had been servicing (excuse me,
tuning) for this college for many years.  I asked him if he would run
up the let-off in the Bass while I did all of the treble.  He asked me:
"which way do I turn them thangs?"  I know that this is a specific
example, but I imagine this is not the only case of this kind of ignorance
out in the field.

There were other occasions where I ascertained that the local technician
was a better technician than I.  Such was the case in Winnipeg with Bill
Weiss.  I let him tune for Byron Janis that night.  Again, my major point
was that if the manufacturer does not know for sure about the local tech.
he is wiser to go with a known quantity or quality.

Jim Coleman, Sr.