Yamaha keytops

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:54:36 -0400

In a message dated 96-08-28 02:49:13 EDT, pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU (Jim)
writes:

<< I know that Yamaha has been
 very gracious in being willing to change the keys, but I must say that in
 all these years since that version of keys have been out, I personally
 have never seen a set that I thought needed to be changed.

Dear Jim and List,
I agree that Yamaha has been very gracious; I myself have changed out several
sets with absolutely nothing but help and prompt service from Yamaha. Those
that I changed have been at the customers' requests because their keys were,
in their opinion, "dirty looking" and the customers couldn't get them to look
clean.

I also agree that we need to look at this situation from both our perspective
as technicians as well as from Yamaha's. You are right on target when you
state the case from the manufacturer's viewpoint. Their objective is to
satifsy the customer, longterm, at the most efficient cost. I believe that
might just be called "good business."  I would hope that we could keep in
mind the necessity of keeping good relations with the piano manufacturers to
benefit ourselves as well as the piano playing public.

As a very green, inexperienced technician, the very first time I had a
problem with a Yamaha and reported it to them, I experienced a similar
situation. When I called to followup with the customer, I learned that Yamaha
had sent their technician to fix it. He also regulated the piano at no cost
to the customer; also at no profit to me! At first I was angry that Yamaha
"had done that to me!" Then I analyzed the situation and tried to understand
why. I reasoned that Yamaha did not know me; therefore, why should they trust
me to work on one of their pianos when they did not know my work and they
would be paying for the repairs. I know that I would not allow a technician I
did not know to do work for my customers, especially if I were paying!

I made it a point for Yamaha to get to know me. I started called for
technical advice on *real* problems; I talked to their reps at regional and
national conventions. In a very short time Yamaha got to know me and I got to
know them. I did the same thing with Kawai, Steinway, Baldwin, and others. In
a very short time, I was doing the warranty repairs that I reported.

One of the most significant things I learned from this exchange of
information with the manufacturers was that *all* the manufacturers
experience problems with many of us: all technicians are *not* created equal
in knowledge and skills, including RPT's. All too many times we technicians
create problems for the manufacturers. Don't take my word for it--ask LaRoy
Edwards, Ray Chandler, Don Mannino,  Scott Jones, Kent Webb, etc.
Unfortunately, there are way too many of us who could and should learn how to
be better technicians but not at the manufacturer's expense in dollars and in
customer relations.

I have on my flame suit for replies.

Gina