YAMAHA keys

Ernest Juhn 71341.1370@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

To explain some of the Yamaha key top replacement stories.
I have been a Yamaha "service consultant" for about 25 years. In fact, I am one
of those who have often been sent "to different states" to replace key tops.
Originally there was quite a lot of discussion as to how to go about it, replace
all keys sharps and naturals), replace the covering only, what to do with the
old keys etc. etc.
Yamaha always tried to keep customers satisfied. Let us also not forget that
Yamaha was the first company that in a very well organized way(!) made piano
service part of their sales policy. It was Yamaha who started a well organized
service consultant program. These guys not only traveled all over visiting
customers, but also visited dealers and technicians.
As part of the (most unfortunate) defective key top replacement program, a
rather effective way to install these new keys was developed and - by doing a
lot of them, the technician becomes proficient at it.
Yes, there is no question that some local technicians are at least as skilled -
or even better - than the Yamaha service consultant, but the company was
interested in consistency.
I assure you that by now, I can install a set of keys blindfolded, drunk at 4 AM
without any trouble. JUST KIDDING!
And then - came the revolution. Yamaha tried the other method. A lot of local
tuner/techs did the "key jobs". Most of them worked out fine. Some did not.  Of
course it became less costly to Yamaha -- but the consistency suffered.  To the
best of my knowledge, most of the "original" service consultants jobs were
satisfactory. And - from the Yamaha  standpoint -  the customer remained "sold"
on the piano. -  Not always .
And - something else happened - While Yamaha was able to take care af the "key
top problem" quietly and diplomatically in the past,  they no longer can.  -
Yes, certain models require measuring of the old keys prior to installation of
replacements. As far as I know, the technician in most cases was paid for that
service and was generally told that the replacement will be performed by a
Yamaha service consultant - if that is what Yamaha planned for.
For your further consideration (the other side of the coin).
It became known that used keyboards have been recovered and sold as "new keys".
Not all tuner/techs like to do key jobs. - Some even "dread" this kind of work.
Some tuner/techs never did a key replacement job before -  it will be their
first.

What is Yamaha to do? (Remember Yamaha is the pioneer of the motto "take your
tuner out for lunch".  Preserve the reputation of always doing the best for the
customer who  purchased that piano based (among other things) on the service
reputation or, make all local tuner/techs happy - regardless of experience in
the key replacement field.

Ernie Juhn