SATS

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:53:07 -0800

 Rn> I, too, have sometimes had to deal with the ill- or
 Rn> improperly-educated client who sees a SAT (or a PowerMac laptop) and
 Rn> says something like "oh, so you don't tune them by ear anymore, eh?"
 Rn> And I also have a two-minute (surprises those who know me that I can
 Rn> say anything at all in only two minutes) speech.

 Rn> "Well, no, that's not quite right. Ultimately, all tuning is done by
 Rn> ear. But some of the better modern electronic tuning equipment can help
 Rn> us get 'real close, real fast'. In addition to helping me tune faster
 Rn> (which allows me to keep my rates down), I can relax a little during
 Rn> the 'rough' tuning part, and save my fullest concentration for the
 Rn> final/fine tuning of each string.
 Rn> Randy Potter, R.P.T.

Randy,
I suggest you end your speech here. All the rest of it is not needed and casts
piano techs who don't use ETAs in a poor light.
When ever customers express their approval that I don't use a ETA I give them
my little speech explaining that I have many very competent colleagues who use
both their ears and eyes to achieve the same result that I do.

Just a suggestion to keep it simple and friendly,

Scott Johnson
Auburn, California
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com