Yamaha keytops

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:07:36 -0500

Joe, Jim C., others,
   One point that I have not seen brought up is that it "might" not have
been the factory's intention to do this without Joe's knowledge.
Considering Yamaha's commitment to good piano service, perhaps the Yamaha
tech should have contacted Joe to go with him for the keyboard replacement
and use that as a possible learning experience for him and perhaps as a way
to get to know what kind of work he did. And maybe gain a tech in that area
who might be able to do other kinds of warranty work in the future.
   Jim Coleman mentioned that he used to do that when with Baldwin C & A. I
have also had a Yamaha tech contact me in the past after I had called about
a problem I couldn't solve and he was sent to try. I really appreciated
that. Especially since, at the time I had only been a tech for a few years.
It was a good learning experience for me, as I was also able to "pick his
brain" about some other things while we were together.

>>So far I don't recall anyone trying to look at this keyboard changing
>>situation from Yamaha's perspective.  I believe that if I were a manu-
>>facturer, and out of the goodness of my heart I elected to change out a
>>keyboard for one of MY customers, I would choose to send someone that I
>>personally knew to be well skilled in the job even though it may cost
>>me more money.  It beats taking a chance on someone I do not know and
>>later possibly having to redo or send someone to complete the job to
>>our factory specifications.
>>
>>Jim Coleman, Sr.

>Jim Coleman, Jim Bryant and List,

snip

> The point that is being overlooked is that I was acting as the contractor-
>in- fact in this situation. Yamaha had, I believe, an ethical responsibility
>to deal with me through my customer. This, of course, they did not do. I was
>not even given the courtesy of an interview as to the possibility that my
>credentials might have been adequate, or whether or not I would consent to
>allowing Yamaha's representative to do the work. Remember, the customer did
>not contact Yamaha--I did. Actually, if I had been allowed my proper due ,
>and I had given approval for someone else to do the work, then I would have
>had a further responsibility to double check the work that was done to
>protect my customer!
>
>Joseph Alkana RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music