Pleyel

Zetti001@aol.com Zetti001@aol.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 18:08:14 -0400

Hi List!

First I must say thank you for the open discussion here! I am new to this
trade having studied at Shenandoah Conservatory many years ago and now just
getting back into it and trying to freshen up my skills and re-learn most
everything. I have to say that I have been overwhelmed with the help I have
received from other technicians and from the PTG with regards to material and
information. This list is just one other way to gather that information and I
certainly hope I will be able to contribute with some useful information
myself based on my own experiences.

Before that, however, I will hesitantly ask for what I am certain is common
knowledge for most of you. I have been recently scouring all of the piano
sources for suitable instruments to work on and have found quite a few.
During my search I ran across a 1872 Pleyel grand that is in incredibly good
condition. As a pianist of sorts and having an exceptional interest in pianos
and their history I fell in love with this instrument. It is in a rosewood
case with overstrung strings on what I believe is a wrought iron plate. The
action has recently been rebuilt and the piano plays very well. I am
primarily interested in it just to keep--in other words I would not be
attempting to tear in apart in my current "inexperienced" state.

I know this isn't really the place to present this question but I don't have
any other source of highly qualified information. Does anyone have any
thoughts on an instrument like this? I can have it for $4,500.00. Is that
outrageous or reasonable?

I do appreciate the opportunity to ask. Thanks!

Todd