Cracks and ridges

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:02:52 -0400

Dear Brent,

Thank you for your kind remarks and interest in the article. As you pointed
out the views I have expresses in this article are one sided and unlike those
usually seen on this list lacking the usual give and take. This is as it
should be since I wrote the article to be published in my news letter which
is designed to market my rebuilding business. In spite of my warnings that
this material is too commercial in content for the list the list’s director
(Vince Mrykalo) requested it’s inclusion. I my also point out that this
article was meant for local consumption here in the New York and greater new
England area where most of my business comes from and I was deliberately
highlighting aspects of my work that set me apart. Even though the quality of
rebuilding in the New York area is generally considered excellent I have
always felt that many aspects could be improved. This idea is the impetus for
my own business to provide a better grade of piano rebuilding. I am not
suggesting that my methods be adopted I only wish to inform prospective
clients of the available choices.

Your comments about soundboard panels are well placed. I am sure there are
panels available suitable for most piano rebuilding. At the time I set up my
panel making process I could not persuade any of the commercial sources to
make them to my standard. Besides the usual problems such as quarter sawing,
rings per inch, width of individual boards, wood species and appearance I
found it impossible to get them to use hide glue. Another demand was that the
wood be stored in a interior space for at least one year before being made
into panels. This was the practice of instrument makers in the past and I
think it is a good idea. This is done for the stabilization of stresses in
the wood. Most of the wood I use is over two years old and stored in a loft
over my work areas.

I certainly think highly of Andre Bolduc and the panels he produces and I
often recommend them to technicians but I don’t think that these would be the
equivalent of the ones I make for myself. I don’t know if he is using hyde
glue. If he is, he should advertise it. Knowing how much space it takes, I
doubt if the wood is handled in the way I described above; it would be just
to costly for a larger commercial enterprise. There is one other aspect I
would point out; at present Bolduc offers only eastern spruce. I keep on hand
both eastern and sitka spruce. In my experience Steinway grands require sitka
spruce to achieve full power. This is particularly important for larger
instruments. On the other hand a beautiful darker tone quality is found form
using eastern spruce but with less power. I like to use eastern spruce on
some of the Mason and Hamlins.

Now lets get back to our debate on ridges and cracks. First of all lets
decide that there indeed exists a phenomenon where the surface of the
soundboard develops over time areas raised above the level surface of the
soundboard. These raised areas are formed in the direction of the grain
usually but not always at or near a glue line. The affected area is anywhere
from one to twelve growth rings in width and may extend fully or partly the
length of  the soundboard. The affected area may or may not extend to the
under surface. These raised areas  may or may not develop into cracks over
time. Let us call these soundboard ridges.

Brent, you pointed out in your post the need to define when a soundboard
ridge is significant or not. I would like to propose a line of reasoning
 that may help. If we have adopted the above definition then we agree that
ridges are areas where wood has displaced a degree above the surrounding
surface. At what point is this displacement significant enough to indicate
permanent damage to the wood? My I suggest that we use the one percent rule.
I refer you to “Understanding Wood” by R. Bruce Hoadley page 114 were he
describes when wood is deformed by more than 1 percent it is permanently
changed. The one percent rule is a rough approximation but fits spruce rather
well. This permanent change known as “set” indicates that cell damage has
begun to happen and the wood in the area is weakened. So how high a ridge
should we be concerned about? Soundboard panels are generally between 1/4”
and 3/8” in thickness. Taking the average of 5/16” equaling .3125” we arrive
at .003” as one percent of the soundboard’s thickness. Can we take this as a
rough approximation of the degree of ridging above which permanent damage
will happen? Even if we double this figure for the sake of argument we have a
rather small number somewhere between a pink and green front rail punchings.

When I see soundboard ridges of these sizes I am at least concerned knowing
that small problems often  lead to larger ones later on. If I can see a ridge
or ridges from across the room I am alarmed. As you pointed out pianos may
sound better if subjected to plenty of compression, and this I agree with.
But how long will the board maintain that compression if signs of wood
failure are found early in the life of the piano? Is it possible to develop
soundboard building techniques that will minimize these problems? I think so
since it is obvious that we can make mistakes to aggravate them. I think this
is an important issue that requires careful study. I’m sorry but calling this
problem raised grain just doesn’t satisfy me.

Respectfully,
John Hartman