Player Piano Problems

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:34:18 -0400 (EDT)

The problem probably doesn't lie with the player piano itself, but with
the owner. My guess is that she just doesn't have the strength in her
legs to pump the pedals fast enough to produce enough vacuum to get the
player mechanism to function properly. She, of course, blames the player,
rather than admitting that she is getting older and is not as strong as
she once was. The best solution is to install an electric pump that will
take over the pumping chores for her. She can still control the speed at
which the rolls play and has control over the volume as well, in addition
to still being able to use all the keyslip controls. The best player pump
out there is available from the Player Piano Company in Wichita, Kansas.
It not only has a volume control, and a chack valve that still allows
foot-pumping if the pianist chooses, but it also has separate speed con-
trols for play and rewind. You can also install their complete automation
system which combines automatic reroll and automatic shut-off with the
above mentioned pump for totally hands-off playing. You can get a free
copy of PPC's catalog by phoning them at (316) 263-3241. The pump by
itself is their stock # 650. The complete automation kit is their stock
#2800. Both include complete installtion instructions, however, if you
run into problems, or have any questions, e-mail me directly and I'll
be happy to help you out. You'll have to handle this with a lot of tact,
because people don't like to be told that their getting older and can't
do the things they once did. However, electrification is probably your
best bet. One things you might do before proposing electrification is
to ask her to play a roll while you watch. You'll be able to tell right
away if the problem is with her not having enough strength to pump the
pedals. HOWEVER, it might just be that she has the tempo set too slowly,
or that the spring on the governer needs adjustment. Check out those
possibilities first. My best guess, however, is that you're going to
have to go with the electrification. Good luck!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net