Strike Point Revisited

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:46:39 -0400

Avery;
 In my opinion the moulding is the primary part of the hammer that must be
vertical-right angled- square-tail in the right position and so forth. The
method you mention is an acceptable method of determining the strike point if
you have the keybed/string distance. If not, you will be very close if you
follow the moulding, provided of course the hammers are bored correctly and
the mouldings are not drastically different. I have seen discussion on the
list about over/under striking slightly to allow for future hammer filing,
you might want to keep that in mind although I do not do it that way.
JIm Bryant (FL)
p.s. I never can remember which is which with over and under striking and the
above is all theoretical of course. :-)