Viennese Grand

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.Net
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 14:02:34 -0600

Dear Pianotech Colleagues,

I would appreciate any information and/or advice you may offer regarding a
Viennese grand piano my client wishes to restore.  The piano name is Franz
Oeser (5 feet 6 inches), serial no. 6093 with the following plate markings;
K.K. Priv. PianoForte Fabrik Wien.  The exhibition medallions depicted on
the soundboard decal imply the piano was manufactured after 1898.

Any general comments on the prudence of suggesting major restoration?  The
client paid a considerable sum for this <treasure> and intends to use it as
a study instrument.  The soundboard and bridges are remarkably sound with
only minor cracks.  Although I didn't check for the presence of crown,
there was good downbearing at all points on the bridges.  The strings and
tuning pins, however, are terribly rusty and the pinblock appears to have
been doped.  (This piano has made its way from the maritime provinces west
as far as Calgary and now back to Winnipeg.)    The pitch is 130 cents
flat.  Is this vintage of piano capable of being tuned to A440?  The
dampers have been misaligned for so long that no amount of adjustment will
stop the leakage.

If we decide to pursue restoration are there any resources which describe
the peculiarities of regulating these things?

Best regards to all,

Stan M. Kroeker, RPT

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts
59 Quiring