Viennese Grand

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 14:17:41 -0800 (PST)

Stan,
	My biggest problem with older instruments is I find that the
parts are worn out.  Often times someone has went to the trouble of
completely refinishing a piano before consulting with a piano
technician.
	All of the things like downbearing, crown, string condition and
soundboard are important but equally important is the condition of the
action and keyboard.  Check the color of the wood.  If it is dark or
heading that way, then they need to know that the wood is becoming
brittle with age and either rebuilding the action or replacing it is
something to be considered.
	Typically, these types of pianos have been sitting around for
ages without use.  It is possible for you to get it running for not much
money and after they get it in their home and really start playing, parts
could start breaking , glue joints failing, flange problems etc.

Ron Shiflet, RPT