triming dampers

Newton Newton
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:00:07 -0400

If you use a sharp pair of end cutters, like center pin cutters, you can go
along and cut the ends of the damper off below the strings.  This is the way
it is done in the Steinway factory and I have been successful as well.  You
need not cut the back set of trichords unless they too do not clear the
strings and cause partial muting.

If you do indeed need to remove the dampers, get a pair of very sharp, high
quality scissors and trim an eighth inch of felt off each side separately.  I
like to cut on the bias so that the wedge is pointed toward the outside
strings.  This allows the damper to fall into place even if someone has played
with them who should not have.

Clipping dampers so has been my practice for many years now with excellent
results.

If any of this is unclear plase contact me directly.
        Newton

AND: