S&S Sound

N&B Brickman nbb@us.net
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 12:33:34 -0500

Steinway makes a great piano.  I tune a lot of them and enjoy tuning
them, and have helped many customers over the years move up to a
Steinway, both new and used.  I don=92t do much with the model D, which i=
probably the mainstay for many of you on campus, but do service all of
the smaller models from S up to a couple old Cs.

	I would appreciate comments on the sound you find with older Steinway
grands and baby grands versus those produced within approximately the
last 20 years.  I am asking because I often find problems with the
quality of sound in the newer Steinways, particularly with the treble
often being too shallow, tinny, bright, and lacking power, compared with
their older pianos.  I have talked to some technicians about this, and
would be interested in comments from subscribers to this listserver.  =

	Personally, I believe that the S&S grands and baby grands of the 50s,
60s, and earlier were fairly uniformly of excellent tonal quality,
whereas when purchasing more recent models, much more selectivity is
required.  If you agree, any opinions as to the cause?    =

Thanks.
		Norman Brickman  =

		nbb@us.net