nose bolts

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 22:06:09 -0800

I've always heard that the nose bolts are to hold the plate in its
neutral position and that's the way we set them in our shop.  That means
the shoulder (collar) of the nose bolt should just touch the underside
of the plate.
However, we take shoulder height measurements when disassembling the
piano and re-install the nose bolts slightly lower before putting the
plate back in.  This is so we are sure NO nosebolt is too high; that
would hang the plate up.  You can get really messed up if that happens.
Then, when the plate is resting in the piano, first we make sure ALL
nosebolts are too LOW, then bring each up to meet the plate.
Did that help?
----Joel