Broadwood Grands

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 21:35:34 -0800

Maxpiano@aol.com wrote:

> Barrie -

 Broadwood grands of
> oblong tuning pin vintage, with plates made up of many bars exquisitely
> fashioned together and with threaded tuning pin holes.  When the tuning pins
> no longer hold, what do you do since you can't put in larger sizes?

Ken Eschete, of New Orleans told me of his procedure for Reconditioning
"screw-stringer" Broadwoods.  Simply put, with a drill stop in place, he
drills out the threaded plate holes, covers the underside of the block
with plastic, and fills the holes with a very thin epoxy, which flows
through the block, filling cracks and separations and solidifies into a
solid mass which can then be redrilled to accommodate 1/0 or 2/0
standard tuning pins, which will move at 70 to 110 inch pounds. I've
never done the process myself.  For more information, contact Mr.
Eschete care of Dave Doremus who is on the list. Sorry, I can't find his
address.

						Warren