Jumping tuning pins

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 02 Dec 1996 18:48:21 -0800

Paul Stephens wrote:

> List,
>
> A customer recently purchased a used M&H grand out of the 1960's.
> Nearly every tuning pin in the piano jumps badly.
> Paul Stephens, RPT

Many years ago, when I first started re-building, I unthinkingly sprayed
the plate of an old upright Kimball with a spray can of gold paint to
make the plate look better. The tunings pins had been removed for
restringing.  A considerable amount of spray laquer containing gold
metallic pigment got into the tuning pin holes and caused exactly the
effect you are describing.  Fortunately, I discovered the problem when I
drove in my test pins and swabbed out the holes with laquer thinner.
This seemed to take care of the problem.  There were still a few that
jumped, though.  As my Daddy used to say, "Experience is the best
teacher, but only a idiot uses it for his entire education!"

						Warren