Working for a College

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 12:24:41 -0700 (MST)

Dear David:

An administration which allows their main concert piano to be used as a
practice piano will soon have their concert piano sounding like a practice
piano.  It will be necessary to replace the hammers every 4 or 5 years if
they do not disallow the excess practice on that instrument.  When you
mention damper problems, I wonder if interior playing and strumming or
other special preparations are allowed on that piano.  That could be
devastating to the dampers.

Even piano professor's studio pianos should not be used for student
practice, or they will soon sound like practice pianos.  If they are
going to preserve their capital assets (pianos), they must take some
resolute action in that direction.  This is an administration
problem.  They have to deal with the budget.  If they are "pennywise
and pound foolish", they WILL, down the road, have a large capital outlay to
deal with, or the serious students and teachers will gravitate elsewhere.

Somewhere in the archives I stated a priority system which I developed
at the beginning of my 15 years at ASU (the undefeated football school
this year, Rose Bowl etc.). This system was designed to be conservative and
yet meet the needs of the musicians.

Jim Coleman, Sr.