HELP REQUEST, PINBLOCK PROBLEM

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:53:13 -0500

Roland asks;

>>ABOUT FOUR OF THE P BLOCK HOLES
>>ARE SO BIG THAT I NEED TO EITHER FILL THEM WITH RESIN OR EPOXY,  OR PUT
 >>PLUGS IN THEM IF THAT IS POSSIBLE - THEN RE-DRILL THEM FOR A #4 PIN.

   Why 4/0 pins in the repaired holes?   I have had successful results by
first plugging the tuning pin hole with a dowel, ( you get a better result
drilling out a doweled hole than trying to just enlarge the hole with a 3/8"
bit).  After the dowel is set and dry,  I continue by drilling a 3/8" hole in
the pinblock, through the plate, and gluing Falconwood plugs, (use a tenon
cutter to make long plugs out of scrap Falconwood), with Titebond.
   Give it a day to be completely dry, and then drill for 2/0 pins, with a
..272" drill.  The Do-All company sells the high spiral bits like Geers,
though the point is not as steeply cut.
   A very slight dimple in the top of the falconwood is made with a 3/8" bit
for centering purposes, and it helps to have a partner sight the drill angle
for you from the side.
   This is the repair I used 14 years ago on a 2 year old concert piano, and
it is still tuning just fine.
     ( for those that wonder,  the piano left the factory with the bottom
three tuning pins driven in against the plate ,as the driller had missed the
mark pretty badly.
as soon as the metal to metal wore a little bit, the wallowed out hole was
too loose.  When I lightly ground the plate metal for clearance for a larger
pin,  a 3/0 pin would drop in by itself!!)

Regards to all
Ed Foote