Working for a College

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:57:12 -0600

> David writes;

>>  What do you do to get the
>>attention of the music department that the pianos are all going down hill
>>quickly?

   I'd like to add one comment to the very good ones made here by Ed Foote.
In a relatively small school situation like this one, it would also be a
good idea to get some of the other faculty involved. Especially the ones
with some influence. I used to tune for a university with only about 20
pianos or so,
and one piano teacher. It really helped the situation when some of the
other faculty also started "pressuring" the dean to have some consistent
work done.
   Just a thought.

Avery

>Gee,  sounds like there is money to be made here.
>1.  Don't be in a tug of war,  tell the piano professor you are ready to tune
>all of them, but he must go to talk to the department head.
> 2.  Be ready to quote a bid on tuning the entire complement of pianos twice
>a year
>3.  work up a rough $$ amount that has been invested in the pianos, ( there
>is $100,000 in those two D's alone!!),  and then be ready to approach this on
>a "protect the investment" basis.  Perhaps explain what the cost will be to
>replace them.
>
>You will have to address the ignorance of the department head as to the needs
>of the equipment that he is responsible for.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
713-743-3226