pinblock treatment humidity question

Paul Fernandez paulfer@dircon.co.uk
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 08:12:08 +0000

>Quikset from APSCO became my preferred formula. First of all, it is quite
>fast. You can tell within hours if it is going to work, sometimes within
>minutes. Tuning the next day is the rule. The effect seems to be quite
>permanent. Fifteen years later I find no recurrence of loose pins.

Hi list,

Over here in the UK most of our problems come from conditions that are
too dry. This arises in the winter when it is very cold and people really
blast their central heating systems. The humidity is often below %30.
Normally I check the humidity in the customers house and then recomend a
solution if the humidity is too low (humidifiers etc...). If the pinblock
is dried out and the pins are loose and the block is treated with
glycerine, does the block stay healthy even if the piano is still in dry
conditions? In the summer when the heating is turned off the humidity
returns to 50% - 60%. Is this high enough to make the block go mushy?

I've never used this stuff before but is sounds like there are definitely
some cases where it could be useful.

Paul

London
UK