Static SAT

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 23:28:24 -0700

>From Sy Zabrocki	=09

Cold weather, hot furnaces, dry air and static electricity. =
Theeeeeeeeeeere're Bach . . . ah . . . baaaaaaack. My Sanderson =
Accu-Tuner (SAT) is sensititive to static electricity. You all know =
about this. When it's dry the slightest movement can cause it to turn =
off or on. Plugging in the foot switch can cause the same result. You =
might program up for a tuning, then plug in the switch and blink, you =
lose your settings. Sometimes the SAT turns on when I open my tool kit.

We've all heard how static can disable computer componets. It scares me =
each time the SAT statics on and off and yet in seven years it has not =
caused damage.=20

We've been told to touch the foot switch plug to the piano plate to =
discharge static. Now supposedly it's safe to plug into the SAT. It =
seems that for all this to work the SAT would have to be grounded to the =
plate. Couldn't there be a charge in the SAT itself which could still =
discharge into or out of the switch line? In very dry air, does a charge =
build up in the SAT's plastic case just by handling it with our hands?=20

Years I ago I worked with Hammond organs. Grounding all the componets =
was important. Here we were dealing with more constant voltages. Just =
don't understand static electricity that well.

Sy Zabrocki